Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Little boys & lace

Garrin has MANY blankets. It comes from having a family talented in the sewing department. However, one has been chosen as the bestest in little Garrin's world. This was not one that he came home from the hospital in. Not the one that mom, grandma, great-grandma or uncle made and gave to him. It is one that was given to him at an odd time. When Garrin was about 4 months old my grandmother Rasmussen died (on my mom's side). It still saddens me that my baby boy will never know that the reason that his family is how it is, is ALL HER FAULT. We love my grandma dearly, but really, if you knew her...you know of what I speak.

Anyway, at her funeral Garrin was bundled into his carseat sleeping the evening away when a great-uncle of mine (i think) came over and asked if the baby was a boy or a girl. I said it was the latest of grandma's grandsons. The last one she met. He sighed, smiled and turned to walk out the doors. I thought very little of it and went about speaking to other family members. I noticed this great uncle (i cannot remember his name) coming back in with a bag but was engaged in conversation so that was the last I saw of him. When I went back to check on Garrin the bag that was carried in by this uncle had been placed right above him and I saw that it was a beautiful baby quilt. A blue one with airplanes that had been tied and finished with a lace edge. I'm a great lover of blankets and was sad that I did not get to properly thank the generosity of this relative of mine. I have no idea if this gift was intended for Garrin or they just happen to have a baby boy quilt in the car. Either way we've been very happy to take care of it.

Since that time that blanket has been used on Garrin's changing table because it was so soft. Not long ago Garrin started to notice the pretty lace on the edges and became obssesed with feeling the lace on his face. He would pull it down to him when it was naptime and you could not get it out of his clutches when he wakes up. He carries it around for comfort and when he gets tired he rubs the lace across his face over and over. He will not sleep without this blanket now and I think it's adorable! Thank you great uncle for the comfort you have provided my baby boy.


>

3 comments:

The Shill Spill said...

That is entirely precious Jeneece! It is one of my favorite things to attach my children to a blanket. To see them love something and rely on something so soft for a portion of their comforting needs is amazing to me. Thank you for sharing.

Aldred Family said...

How cute is that?! Love it! My kids have tons of blankets too.. mine are always drawn to the store bought ones though!!! Those pictures are adorable!

Scooby and Jon said...

That is adorable, I love it.