Thursday, October 9, 2008

Little Joe's Wrangler

We had the opportunity to spend conference weekend down in Delta with above average Joe's parents. They have a beautiful big house to tempt all of their children to come down and visit. Especially those with little grandchildren.

Joe has often told me the story about when he was little his dad would sing him a song called "Little Joe Wrangler". I had never heard of this song before. While were down on this visit the few kids that were there decided to go out in search of the old records of their youth. They were told they were in the garage which means "good luck on finding them" but they did. I got to see the record collection that raised my hubby. In this treasure trove was also discovered a copy of the song "Little Joe Wrangler". Apparently it has about 16 versus and Joe's dad can still remember most of them! The story of the song is that a young cowboy is torn from his home to go to war, I think, and is "lost". The thing about this childhood story that I LOVE is that Joe's dad would have his little boy on his lap and sing to him and at the end of the song my little Joe would look up at his dad with tears in his eyes and say "Did he die, dad, did he die?" The WHOLE family knows this story of my above average Joe because everytime his dad would sing it Joe would have the same reaction. You wouldn't know it to look at him, but Joe is quite the softy.

So, on this trip we got to hear the song that is legend in the Western family. I was distratced from the song only to run for my camera because my sister-in-law found it suitable to make Joe's little boy a wrangler himself.



5 comments:

Scooby and Jon said...

That is stinkin cute.

Aldred Family said...

Seriously, how precious! LOVE the pics! :)

KinsRae said...

I love that you call your husband Above average Joe. That is hilarious. Your family pics are cute and your little one in the boots is adorable.

Andra & Daryl Evans said...

Oh, why do i have to be away from him, so cute, love the whole story, joe the softy....just don't disappoint him =-)!

The Shill Spill said...

And you can't go wrong with a soft 'above average' Joe, or a little tike wrankler! Thank you for sharing one of the most precious stories in the whole world!