Monday, September 14, 2009

Yummy Utah!

For those who do not have or have had 4th graders let me show you the fun we have! They are learning about Utah's geographical mapping. To really help the kids learn this they get to make a cake! Luckily, Utah is shaped easily enough that all you have to do is cut out a square of a standard cake and you have UT! Then we just had to frost the 3 different sections to represent different parts and then Trevin got to take a bunch of candy to class to "make" things like the rivers, lakes and moutains of Utah. I don't know about you guys but I'd probably remember UT a lot better if I knew it in chocolate!

This picture is the night before school with just the frosting done representing the Great Basin in green, Mountain Range in red and Plateaus and rivers in blue. I particularly love this picture because of Trevin's blue teeth.
This was the finished product when he got home from school!

The Reces & Kisses were melted from the walk home in the sun but Trevin tells me it made it look even more like the real plateaus...so he was happy about it! Yummy!

5 comments:

pfabulouspfun-der said...

Ohhh, I loved the Utah cake project! Loooove the blue teeth! Next year at this time you'll be gluing all fifty states to a posterboard... not as yummy!

Lindsey said...

Ya the blue teeth are awesome! Looks like fun-and yummy

Lisa said...

looks fun! And I'm impressed Trevin walked all the way home without dropping it. That's what I would have done, and then I'd probably lick the frosting off the sidewalk. Did every single kid bring a cake, or did they share?

~Jeneece said...

Lisa ~ Every single kid brought a cake. There are 2 sets of twins in Trevin's class and even the twins each brought their own cake...lots of cake.

Juls ~ posterboards are not nearly as fun...i may have to hold him back now.

Julie Stevenson said...

The big kids have so much fun! He looks very proud of his project. Very cool! J